Skip to main content

IMMIGRATION CORNER: Can I Use A US Visa To Enter Canada?


Dear Ms Powell,
I am on long leave from my job as a teacher, and I'm visiting with my fiancÈ in New York. He wants us to visit his mother in Canada for the Christmas. Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States (US) visa? If I need a visa, can I just apply for it online or can I just visit the Canadian embassy here in New York?
- I.J
Dear I.J,
Each country has its own rules and requirement for granting entry by a foreign national. So, if you are from a 'visa-required' country or territory such as Jamaica, Trinidad, St Vincent, Guyana, Sierra Leon and Bangladesh, you will need to apply for a temporary resident/tourist or visitor's visa to enter Canada. You cannot just use your US visa to enter Canada. Although you may have satisfied the US government that you should be granted a visitor's visa, you will still need to satisfy the Canadian authorities that you qualify for a tourist visa to visit Canada.
If you are from a 'non-visa country' such as a British overseas territory, like Cayman Islands, the BVI, or a citizen of the Bahamas, Barbados or Antigua & Barbuda, you will not need a visitor's visa at this time. However, as of March 16, 2016, citizens of non-visa countries and individuals with a US green card will be required to get and present an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) in order to travel to or through Canada. The ETA is valid for five years or until the passport expires. Only individuals who are citizens of certain countries such as the US, or a 'transit without visa' country, will be exempted from this ETA requirement in 2016.
Assuming you are a citizen of a 'visa-requirement' country, like Jamaica, you will need to apply for a temporary resident. Therefore, if you are in the US on a visitor's visa and not as a citizen or permanent resident, you will be required to have a Canadian temporary resident/ visitor's visa in order to visit your friends and relatives in Canada for Christmas.
BIOMETRIC INFORMATION
Although you may submit your application online and scan and upload your documents, you will still need to provide your biometric information and your passport to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in your country of permanent residence. The VAC in New York only serves residents of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Bermuda. You will, therefore, need to attend the VAC nearest to your permanent residence in Jamaica to present your fingerprints and original passport, as part of the identification and application process.
In submitting your application for a tourist/ visitor's visa, you will need to prove that you have strong social and economic ties to your home country, and that you intend to return to your home country within the time granted, or before the end of six months. Ensure that you submit a letter from your employer to confirm that you will have a job to return to at the end of your vacation. You should also have a well-written invitation letter from your mother-in-law and documents to show that you are able to afford your trip.
You have the option of submitting an online application plus scan and upload the necessary document via www.csc-cvac.com/en-JM/selfservice; or submit a paper application to the VAC nearest to your permanent residence. The contact information for the centres in Jamaica are:
Visa Application Centre - Kingston
31 Upper Waterloo Road,
Kingston 10
Phone number: (876) 632-7370,
Visa Application Centre - Montego Bay
14 Sunset Boulevard
Montego Bay, St James
Phone number: (876) 632-7370
Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public. Submit your questions and comments to: Email: info@deidrepowell.com. Subject line: Immigration
Published in the Jamaica Gleaner: http://jamaicagleaner.com/article/news/20151208/immigration-corner-can-i-use-us-visa-enter-canada

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...