Skip to main content

Canadian Citizenship as a Wife

Dear Ms Powell, I am engaged to someone in Canada. What are the requirements to get Canadian citizenship? Do I get citizenship automatically after marrying a Canadian citizen? What if our child is born outside of Canada will our baby get citizenship as well? We just need to know these things as we plan our future together. Thank you for your time. A.C. Dear AC, Congratulations on your engagement. You will not automatically get Canadian citizenship, just by marrying someone in Canada, but there a steps to acquiring same. The critical question is what is your fiancé’s legal status in Canada? Is he a visitor, student, worker, permanent resident, or Canadian citizen? If you get married to a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you will not automatically get Canadian citizenship. However, there are steps that you can take to acquire Canadian citizenship. Sponsorship Application A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can apply to sponsor his spouse or common law/ conjugal partner to become a permanent resident of Canada, provided that both parties are eligible. When a citizen or permanent resident applies to sponsor his spouse, the government will check the background of the sponsor to ensure that he is at least 18 years old, resides in Canada or intends to live in Canada, pays taxes, not receiving social assistance for reason other than disability, and able to provide for the basic needs of your spouse, among other factors. Once the sponsor is qualified, the next step will be to examine if the person being sponsored, called “the applicant” is admissible to Canada. You will be required to do a medical examination to ensure that you are medically admissible. Additionally, a thorough background check will be done to ensure that you do not have a criminal record and will not be threat to others in Canada, among other factors. Residency Requirement Once your sponsorship application has been approved you will become a permanent resident. The next step will be to apply for your citizenship when you are qualified to do so. You can only apply for citizenship if you have lived in Canada for a minimum of 3 years in the last 5 years and your taxes are up to date. This means that you must have been physically in Canada for at least 1,095 days (3 years) during the 5 years, before the date you sign your application. You will also need to provide proof that you satisfy the language requirements and pass the Citizenship test. The citizenship test will evaluate your knowledge about Canada, the rights, duties, and responsibilities of being Canadian. In some cases, even though individuals have lived in Canada more than three years, they may not be qualified to apply for citizenship, as time spent serving a term of imprisonment, on parole, or on probation, will not count as time that you have lived in Canada. There may be additional requirements based on your situation. Children of Citizens There are different rules applicable to children of Canadian citizens who were born outside of Canada. Your child may be a Canadian citizen if at least one parent or legal parent at birth, was born in Canada, or became a naturalized Canadian citizen, before the birth of the child. If the above is applicable, the child will be deemed a Canadian and the parents will only need to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate for the child. If your spouse is a permanent resident, your child will not automatically be a Canadian citizen, if he is an adopted child born outside Canada. The requirements for adopted children are different and therefore I recommend that you consult directly with a Canadian immigration lawyer to advise you if you should pursue the citizenship process or apply to sponsor your adopted child. Deidre S. Powell is an Immigration Lawyer, Mediator and Notary Public. Connect with her via Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Request your consultation or submit your questions via www.deidrepowell.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...