Skip to main content

Medical Inadmissibility


Dear Miss Powell,
I completed my studies in Canada and started working in my dream job. However, I was just diagnosed with cancer and my world has turned upside down. I wanted to apply for permanent residence, but my sister said that I may not get through, as they will say I will be putting too much demand on the medical system. What does that mean? Is this the end of my life? What about the valuable contribution I can make to the society, if I recover? What can I do? Should I even bother applying under the Express Entry System? I used up my life savings to come to Canada to study. My sister and other family members are here and so I would want to stay here. I’m very distraught by this and not sure what to do. Please help.
O.T.
Dear OT,
I am very sorry to hear about your medical condition. I know this must be devastating news to you and your family. You did not say what type of cancer, but I want you to know that this is not the end of your life. Many individuals have conquered cancer and go on to live very productive lives. So do not think this is the end of your life. Let me first explain the law as it relates to medical inadmissibility and the term excessive demand.
Medical Inadmissibility
All applicants for permanent residence will need to establish that they will not pose an excessive demand on health or social services in Canada. Each applicant will be required to do various medical tests and checks with an approved medical practitioner as apart of the application process. The doctor is required to submit a report to the Immigration Department which will detail the medical risks, if any, of granting you permanent residence status in Canada.
An officer will review the results and decide if an individual is deemed medically inadmissible for permanent residence of Canada in accordance with the laws.
The Immigration, Refugee and Protection Act (IRPA) provides that a foreign national is inadmissible on health grounds if their health condition is likely to be a danger to public health; is likely to be a danger to public safety; or might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services.
Excessive Demand
A finding of 'excessive demand' usually results in a finding that the individual is 'medically inadmissible'. However, the law also says that the 'excessive demand' barrier is not applicable in the case of a foreign national who is exempt from these provisions. The persons that would be exempted are individuals who are deemed to be a spouse, common-law partner, child of a sponsor, a refugee or a protected person.
The term excessive demand on health and social services is define in the IRPA Regulations as a demand for care for which the anticipated cost would exceed the average Canadian per capita health services cost over a period of five consecutive years from the date of the person’s most recent immigration medical examination. It also applies to 'a demand on health services or social services that would add to existing waiting lists and would increase the rate of mortality and morbidity in Canada as a result of an inability to provide timely services to Canadian citizens or permanent residents'.
Unfortunately, the immigration officer will not be looking at the contributions that an individual is expected to make to Canada are not generally considered when an application is initially submitted for permanent residence under the express entry system. The express entry system manages the Federal Skilled Worker Programme, The Federal Skilled Trade Programme, The Canadian Experienced Class and some Provincial Nominee Programmes.
If you can satisfy all the other requirements based on your age, language, education, work experience and other factors, you should apply for permanent residence status. The application process takes an average of six months to a year to be completed.
In the meantime, continue your medical treatments and consult a lawyer directly to discuss the best strategy for you and your family, based on the detail facts of your case. There may be more options available to you than you realise. Chin up! Stay positive!
Deidre S. Powell is an international lawyer, mediator and notary public with office in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Submit your questions via email: info@deidrepowell.com. Subject line: Immigration. Find her on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and twitter. Book your telephone/skype meeting via her website at www.deidrepowell.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada?

Immigration Corner | What is an Authorisation to Return to Canada? : Dear Miss Powell, I used to live in Canada, but I was sent home. My cousin is getting married and I have an invitation to attend the wedding. Can I reapply for a visitor’s visa? What are the chances of my application being successful? Thank you Dear WW, A foreign national who has contravened the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and its regulations can be the subject of a removal order from Canada and may need to apply for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC), and a Temporary Resident (visitor’s) visa. The success of your application depends on the reason that you were “sent home”, the type of removal order that was issued against you, the length of time that has passed, as well as your current social and economic situation. At the time of your departure from Canada, did you notify the Canadian Border Services Agency? Did they give you a letter confirming your departure? You should have received

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me?

Immigration Corner | Married to a Canadian, will they harass me? : Dear Miss Powell, I am married to a Canadian citizen. Before we were married, I had my visitor’s visa, so I was going back and forth, and he did the same. That works out good for both of us as we are very busy with our work, plus my husband says he... The immigration officer will not “harass” you because you are now married. However, you should expect to provide explanations about the reason for your visit and whether you are considering living or working in Canada. You should be honest with them as you could be barred from Canada for approximately five years for misrepresentation and have difficulties with future applications.

Canadian Citizenship as a Wife

Dear Ms Powell, I am engaged to someone in Canada. What are the requirements to get Canadian citizenship? Do I get citizenship automatically after marrying a Canadian citizen? What if our child is born outside of Canada will our baby get citizenship as well? We just need to know these things as we plan our future together. Thank you for your time. A.C. Dear AC, Congratulations on your engagement. You will not automatically get Canadian citizenship, just by marrying someone in Canada, but there a steps to acquiring same. The critical question is what is your fiancé’s legal status in Canada? Is he a visitor, student, worker, permanent resident, or Canadian citizen? If you get married to a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you will not automatically get Canadian citizenship. However, there are steps that you can take to acquire Canadian citizenship. Sponsorship Application A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can apply to sponsor his spouse or common law/ conjugal