Skip to main content

WHAT ARE NOC CODES - CANADA IMMIGRATION FACTS



Dear Miss Powell
What is an NOC code? I was talking to a lady who told me that she could help me to move to Canada since she said I had the right NOC code. She wanted me to pay her some money to help me, but I’m a little scared. I want to understand more about this NOC code and how it can help me to live in Canada. How do I know if I have the right code? Thanks for your time.
DF
Dear DF,
Before I go into details about what is the NOC code, I want to first caution you that only lawyers, immigration consultants and some paralegals are authorised by the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to submit an application on your behalf. It is your duty to check the regulatory bodies for lawyers, to see if an individual is a lawyer in good standing with a province such as the Law Society of Ontario or check with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council before engaging the services of the individual.
What is a NOC code?
The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is a national system used by the Government of Canada for organising and describing occupations in Canada. This description is updated every five years by the government agencies and published as a guide for job seekers, employers and the department of IRCC. The NOC will identify job descriptions, educational requirements, the required skills and related occupations or exclusions.
The NOC is utilised by IRCC as it classifies occupations according to their skill level and skill type. The occupations are identified by a four-number code which is called the 'NOC Code'. This code represents different classifications based on industry, education and the skills required.
IRCC has stipulated that in order for individuals to qualify under the express entry system under categories such as the Federal Skilled Worker Programmes, Federal Skilled Trade Programme, Canadian Experience Class and some Provincial Nominee Programmes, individuals need to clearly demonstrate that they have experience in the categories skills types A, B and O. The skills types are classified into the various NOC codes.
Skill Types
Skill type O are jobs that usually managerial positions such as, restaurant managers, customer service manager, human resources manager, and senior managers in a banks, insurance company or a public relations firm. Examples of these NOC codes are NOC 0011, 0015, 0016, 0114, 0111.
Skill A are professional jobs that require a university education and include occupations which are associated with business, finance and administration, e.g., NOC 4011, 5134, 5136, 3144. Examples of skill A occupations include doctors, lawyers, teachers, architects, engineers, surveyors, financial auditors, administrative assistant, paralegals, event planners, accounting technicians, financial managers, accountants, to name a few.
Skills Type B include technical jobs and skilled trade’s occupations such as NOC 4214, 7237, 7253. Skill type B occupations usually require college, community colleges vocational or apprenticeship training. This is includes chefs, cooks, meat cutters, plumbers, welders electricians and related occupations.
It is important to know your NOC code for your occupation before applying for permanent residence of before doing a job search in Canada. You will find that job boards will use NOC codes to organise their job postings and most importantly, if you are making an application under the express-entry system for permanent residence, you will be required to identify the NOC in which you have the most work experience. The government of Canada will use the NOC lists to see if you qualify for permanent residence. Many province will list their in-demand occupations using the NOC codes.
Some people find this process complicated and therefore if you need help to select your NOC code for immigration purposes, I strongly recommend that you consult with an authorised immigration professional to make sure you use the correct codes when submitting your application to live permanently or work in Canada.
Deidre Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bar. Find her on facebook.com/jamaicanlawyer or call 613.695.8777. Send your questions and comments to info@deidrepowell.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...