Skip to main content

Where should I settle - Canada or Australia


Dear Ms Powell,
I am a professional in Jamaica and I would like to leave the country, as I haven't been able to find a good job here. I have a master's degree, and I'm thinking of doing a PhD, so I've been looking at both Canada and Australia. Can you give me an idea of which place would be better for me? I wish to not just work there, but live permanently and become a citizen.
-K.N.
Good day K.N.,
Canada and Australia both have generous immigration systems for highly educated and skilled individuals, as well as refugees. Both jurisdictions have a point-based immigration system that evaluates how well an individual is expected to do in the country, and permanent residence is granted based on the scores that each individual is able to accumulate. Both countries have seen a great increase in the proportion of skilled migration within the last 10 years. Qualified individuals are usually granted permanent residence, which authorises you to live, work, and study anywhere in the country without restriction.
A permanent resident has the rights of a citizen, except that permanent residents are restricted in the amount of time they can be outside of the country, have a permanent resident card instead of the country's passport, are and unable to vote. After a number of years, a permanent resident can apply to become a citizen in each country.
I must confess that I prefer the Canadian system based on a number of reasons. Apart from proximity, reputation, security and laws, there are other factors to consider. I will outline a few below.
 Application Process
The Canadian application process is easier. Australian permanent residence information can be found on the Australian Governments' Department of Home Office's website, while applications for permanent residence for Canada can be found on the Government's of Canada's website.
An application to become a permanent resident of Canada is processed in two stages. The first step requires a candidate to express an interest in being considered for permanent residence by submitting an electronic application through the express entry portal. The system is monitored by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Once an application is submitted, IRCC will rank candidates against each other based on factors such as language (French and/or English), education, work experience, age and other factors, for example, whether or not you have Canadian work experience, have studied in Canada, have a valid job offer, or have a provincial nominee or family members who are living permanently in Canada.
Although factors such as family members, provincial nomination, or proof of job offer are not required in order to enter the express entry or be selected, if a candidate has a valid job offer or is nominated by a province, then a significant number of points is granted, and most individuals are then authorised to go on to the next stage of the evaluation process. The next stage involves obtaining medical and security clearances, as well as providing proof of the factors mentioned before, including providing proof of settlement funds or ability to support yourself and eligible family members.
 How Long Will The Process Take?
IRCC promises that once a candidate has submitted a completed application after being granted an invitation to apply, the application will be processed in six months or less.
 Benefits And Taxes
As indicated, both systems grant applicants points based on a candidate's ability to integrate and contribute to the society's growth and development. Both countries have excellent education and health systems, which permanent residents will have easy access to. Each individual is required to have a social insurance number and sign up for a health card immediately on arrival in order to access benefits in Canada.
In Australia, individuals will need to wait at least two years before receiving access to social security benefits.
You will be taxed in both countries. There is no escaping the taxes. In Canada, there are federal and provincial taxes. For example, in Ontario, individuals are charged 13 per cent HST on most items; while federal taxes are based on your annual income and range between 15 per cent and 33 per cent. Australia has a tax file number, and their VAT is 10 per cent, which is incorporated into the sale prices advertised for each item.
For more information and to find out if you qualify to come to Canada, you can sign up for free via my website: www.deidrepowell.com or via my Facebook page www.facebook.com/jamaicanlawyer.
Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator, and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars. She is a CIC- authorised representative. Her areas of practice are immigration, real estate, personal injury, commercial, family, wills and estates in Jamaica and Ontario. Submit your questions and comments via email: info@deidrepowell.com. Subject line: Immigration. Find her on Facebook: www.facebook.com/jamaicanlawyer. Tel: 613-695-8777.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...