Skip to main content

Immigration Corner | Thinking Of Canada/ Family Sponsorship

Dear Miss Powell,
My sister is a Canadian citizen and she would like to sponsor me and my 13-year-old brother to go to Canada to live. How can she sponsor us? I'm working, but my little brother is in high school.
- A.M.
 Dear A.M.,
A Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor her siblings to become permanent residents of Canada if all the parties are able to satisfy certain requirements as outlined under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act ( IRPA).
Your sister will first need to ensure that she qualifies to be a sponsor. She cannot be receiving social assistance, be in prison, or bankrupt. She must be able to satisfy other requirements depending on the details of your application.
In the case of your 13-year-old brother, there is a special provision made for persons who are orphans, single, and under the age of 18. So if both of your parents are deceased and your brother is dependent on your sister for support, she can make a special application to sponsor your brother.

STUDY PERMIT
It appears that you are over 18 years old and, therefore, the rules are different. The only way your sister can sponsor you is if she is single and has no other relative living in Canada. That is, your sister will need to prove that she does not have children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, or nephews in Canada.
If you and your brother do not qualify under the above, then your other options would be to apply for a study permit. This may be an expensive route as your brother will need to pay tuition as an international student and meet the financial requirements.
If you have a minimum of one year's work experience in a trade or as a professional, you may not need your sister to sponsor you as you could apply under the Federal Skilled Trades or Federal Skilled Worker category via the Express Entry System. I have written several articles about this topic, which can be found online.
You should also note that you will be required to undergo criminal and medical checks before your application is approved.
The answer above is based on the limited information that you have provided. Therefore, I recommend that you consult with an immigration lawyer who will be able to guide you based on the details of your case.
Published in the Jamaica Gleaner: http://www.jamaicagleaner.com/article/news/20160726/immigration-corner-thinking-canada

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...