Skip to main content

Do I need an immigration consultant to submit my application? - News - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | August 14, 2012

Do I need an immigration consultant to submit my application? - News - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | August 14, 2012


Dear Miss Powell,
I read all the time where you say people should contact an immigration consultant or a lawyer to help them with their case. I hear of people who charge a lot and you give them your documents and they disappear with your documents and money. Do I need an immigration consultant to submit my application? What do I do if they disappear with my documents?
- E.A.
Dear E.A.,
You may use a representative to assist you with your immigration application  at any stage of the immigration process. Representatives who charge a fee for their services need to be recognised by the government of Canada. These are certified immigration consultants, lawyers, paralegals, and notaries (Quebec) who are in good standing with their regulatory organisation. Any person who represents or gives advice for a fee concerning immigration applications is breaking the law, unless they are authorised, or have an agreement with the government of Canada.
It is up to you to check the credentials of these persons before submitting your documents and money to them.
In some cases, people seeking to immigrate to Canada have been defrauded by unauthorised representatives. We have seen where these individuals have fancy websites and even boldly use the logo of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants. Often, applicants will be asked to pay using a money transfer service, or by cash. Any application you make with the assistance of an unauthorized representative will be rejected by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Be careful as 'ghost' consultants will take your money and never submit your application. Their practice is to tell you later that your application was rejected.
There are several ways to protect yourself from fraud. The simplest way to choose an immigration representative is to get recommendations from people you trust, or who have utilised the services of the consultant. Another way is to check the governing body for immigration consultants and lawyers. ICCRC is the new regulatory body for immigration consultants. You can review this list at: http://secure.iccrc-crcic.ca/search/en.  For a list of lawyers in good standing in Ontario, contact the Law Society of Upper Canada at www.lsuc.on.ca. For a list of lawyers in Jamaica, contact the General Legal Council at www.generallegalcouncil.org.
Don't be afraid to ask the representative about his or her training and about the organisation that has authorised him or her to act as an immigration representative. If you have doubts, contact the organisation to make sure the individual is a member in good standing before you send them your documents and money.
Most representatives will ask you to sign a retainer agreement or contract. Read the contract carefully and ensure that you understand the terms and conditions before you sign it. If you do not understand the terms, do not be afraid to ask for explanations. Once you sign the agreement, it will be an indication that you understand the terms and accept them. A legitimate representative will also ask you to sign a 'use of representative form'. Do not leave your original documents such as your passport, SIN card, or driver's licence with the representative. These persons usually make certified true copies of originals and return originals to you. Also, be sure that you do not sign blank application forms, or anything that you are unable read or understand. If necessary, take a translator along to help you.
Be sure to get copies of any documents that are prepared for you, and ask for signed receipts.
Lawyers and immigration consultants are trained to deal with immigration cases and can help you to make the process less stressful. They can be particularly helpful when navigating the immigration process. They can help to ensure that the correct forms, documents, and procedures are followed when submitting an application to prevent delay or the risk of your application being refused for failure to submit the correct documents within the required time period.
Also, when dealing with appeals, criminal inadmissibility concerns, or complex immigration cases, it is recommended that you seek legal advice and representation; however, you are not required to hire an immigration representative, and your application will not receive any type of special consideration if you do choose to use one.
You should also note that immigration representatives have no special connections with the Canadian government, so be careful if they say that they can guarantee you a job placement or guarantee that your application will be successful.
If you have been defrauded or you suspect fraud, you may contact Crime Stoppers or the police in either Jamaica or Canada to make a formal complaint. Just be sure that you have proof of the fraudulent activity in order for your complaint to be taken seriously.
Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator, and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her areas of practice are in immigration, personal injury, real estate, family, and administration of estates. She is on the roster of Mediators for Ottawa, Toronto, and the Dispute Resolution Foundation of Jamaica. 
Email: info@deidrepowell.com. Subject line: Immigration. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...