Skip to main content

I want to work in Canada - News - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | July 3, 2012

I want to work in Canada - News - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | July 3, 2012


Dear Miss Powell,
I am a Jamaica-born accountant with United States (US) citizenship and would like to work in Canada. Do I need a work permit ? I heard that US citizens can work in Canada under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Is this so? Please advise.
- HG
Dear HG,
Under the NAFTA Agreement certain North American professionals are permitted to work in Canada on a short-term basis without a work permit. The Agreement allows for temporary cross-border movement of business travellers between Canada, the United States and Mexico. That means that individuals may enter Canada to carry out professional activities for their employer or on contract with a Canadian company. Such activities may include performing training functions or conducting seminars related to your profession.
If you are a chartered accountant you will be able to travel more easily between the NAFTA countries in order to conduct legitimate business or become engaged in investment activities. If you intend to spend an extended period of time as a full-time employee in Canada, you will be required to make the usual application for a work permit . As an American citizen, the advantage is that your application will be processed more quickly.
On the other hand, a Jamaican citizen would need to ensure that before a prospective Canadian employer send a job offer; they would need to do a labour market opinion to see how the job would affect Canadian jobs. As a US citizen, employers can provide work for American and Mexican citizens without having job offers approved by Human Resources Department, provided that job falls with the stated list of permitted professionals. To benefit under NAFTA, you must be qualified to work in one of over 60 professions that are listed in Chapter 16. Accountants, doctors, engineers are some of the professionals included in this list. Additionally, you must have pre-arranged employment with a Canadian enterprise and the written offer of employment should match your qualifications.
Please note that you will also need to satisfy an immigration officer that you intend to leave Canada at the end of your employment contract. Additionally, you should prove that you have no criminal record, that you are in good health and have enough money or will earn enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada.
You may submit your application from the US or upon your arrival in Canada. However, you should ensure that you have a written job offer and able to satisfy the requirements for a work permit, before you submit your application to avoid rejection or delay.
If you have doubts or concerns about your application consult with a lawyer or a certified  immigration consultant  to assist you.
Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her areas of practice are in immigration, personal injury, family and administration of estates. She is on the roster of mediators for Ottawa, Toronto and the Dispute Resolution Foundation of Jamaica. Email: info@deidrepowell.com. Subject line: Immigration

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...