Skip to main content

Don't sell your property yet! - Lead Stories - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | June 5, 2012

Don't sell your property yet! - Lead Stories - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | June 5, 2012


Dear Miss Powell,
I have seen your responses to queries in The Gleaner and thought I'd seek your help. My family and I are hoping to migrate to Canada. I am in the process of selling my property to facilitate this process. My wife and I also want to further our studies. We have two toddlers and would love if all of us could migrate at the same time. We really want to dispose of our property as soon as possible, so we will be ready to have enough money to show the embassy we are able to settle in Canada. Any advice?
- C.D


Dear C.D.,


Do not sell your property based on a mere hope of moving to Canada! I have so many questions! Have you already submitted an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)? Under what category have you submitted your application? Have you received a response? Have you done a medical? Do you have a police record for yourself and your wife? Have you arranged employment in Canada? Is a family member sponsoring you? Are you sure you will satisfy the requirements to actually immigration to Canada?

From the information you submitted, it would appear you have not even started the application process, but merely thinking and hoping to go to Canada.

Once again, I implore you - do not sell your property until you have concrete information on whether you have been approved. CIC will evaluate your ability to settle in Canada not solely based on the amount of cash you have in the bank, but will also examine such factors as your education, skills, experience, age and assets you currently have. Furthermore, if you have arranged employment, or a family member is sponsoring you, you will not even have to worry about the minimum amount of funds you need to have.

You indicated there are four of you in your immediate family. If you apply under the skilled-worker category, the amount of money you will need, as of today's date is CDN$20,654. This figure changes from time to time, so you will need to check this information when it is time to submit your financial information. In the meantime, I would recommend you continue to save your money and leave the sale of your house until after you have your temporary-resident permit in hand.

Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her areas of practice are in immigration, real estate, personal injury, family and administration of estates. She is on the roster of mediators for Ottawa, Toronto and the Dispute Resolution Foundation of Jamaica. Email: info@deidrepowell.com. Subject line: Immigration 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...