Skip to main content

I am worried about my DUI - News - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | May 29, 2012

I am worried about my DUI - News - Jamaica Gleaner - Tuesday | May 29, 2012


Dear Miss Powell, Twelve years ago, I was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol. I pleaded guilty and paid a fine. I did not go to prison. Someone told me Canada considers this a criminal offence. My mother is living in Canada and is about to file for me. I am worried that when I apply my criminal record will show up and I would be considered ineligible. Is there a way to deal with this issue, so that I am not prevented from moving to Canada?
- J.K.


Dear J.K.,
Driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) is a criminal offence. Although you did not go to prison, you may have had a suspended sentence, and this will show up on your criminal record. You will be deemed criminally inadmissible by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Nevertheless, do not be discouraged, if you have changed and have not committed any other crimes in Jamaica or elsewhere, you may take the necessary steps to prove you have been rehabilitated. The main concern to CIC is that you have not committed any other crimes in Jamaica, or in any other country since pleading guilty, and that you are not likely to do so in the future.
When an individual is deemed criminally inadmissible, they can seek to be considered admissible by CIC. 

There are three main ways:
1. Satisfy an officer at CIC or Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) that you have met the requirements to be deemed rehabilitated
2. Apply for rehabilitation
3. Apply for pardon
In your particular case, based on the facts you have presented, you may simply present your case to the CIC officer. However, it would be in your best interest to apply for rehabilitation and prove your case before proceeding to avoid any delays to your application for permanent residency. You have a strong case as you pleaded guilty, you were not imprisoned and more than 10 years have passed since you were convicted.
Now, J.K., the next step is to demonstrate that you have had a stable lifestyle. This means that you will need to show that you have a steady job, participate in community activities and provide letters of reference from people who can attest to your good behaviour.

Applications for rehabilitation usually take more than a year to process. You will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of CA$200 to CIC, which is based on the crime, and submit all the relevant documentation. The documents that you will need to submit include court orders, applicable law and copies of other court documents. Due to the nature of this application, you do not want to make any errors or submit incomplete applications. Therefore I would recommend you use a representative such as a lawyer or certified immigration consultant to assist you with your application.

Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, with main office located in Ottawa, Ontario. Her areas of practice are in immigration, personal injury, family and administration of estates. She is on the roster of mediators for Ottawa, Toronto and the Dispute Resolution Foundation of Jamaica. Email: info@deidrepowell.com. Subject line: Immigration

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Immigration Corner | Son graduated from college and wants to stay in Canada

Dear Miss Powell, My son studied in Canada and then received a graduate work permit. That permit is about to expire, and he is worried that his work permit may now be renewed because of the changes. I am wondering what his options are to remain in Canada now. Please advise us as we are hoping that he could eventually get to live permanently. Your kind response would be appreciated. J.T.    Dear J.T.  I have received several questions from international students wondering about their options to remain in Canada, since Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made several changes to the immigration policies. Your son and others should not panic as there are currently several options to remain in Canada and we remain hopeful that there will be new policy updates to assist graduates to become permanent residents. I will outline below the temporary and permanent options that are available. Remain as a worker   Your son may also apply to remain in Canad...

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report?

Immigration Corner | Do I need a police report? : Dear Ms Powell, I want to apply to live in Canada and I was told that I will need to have police records from all the countries that I've visited. I attended school in the USA and only spent three summer vacations with my aunt in Canada and returned to the USA each time. I also went on a youth programme in the UK. I visited again a few times since. Do I need a police report from all these countries? How would I go about getting the reports? Do I need to have these reports before I apply? - S.E. Dear S.E., Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may require police records from individuals who are applying for permanent residence, study permit, work permit and some temporary resident visas if the individual is over 18 years old. IRCC usually requires police certificates or clearance certificates from any country or territory where you have spent six months or more since the age of 18. This is to ensure that y...

Maintaining Status in Canada.

BOOK A TELEPHONE MEETING  Foreign nationals who are in Canada are required to always maintain status when they are in Canada. That means that if you are a temporary resident, such as a visitor, student, or foreign worker, and you apply to extend your temporary resident status before the permit expires, you can legally remain in Canada until a decision is made on the application. During the period that you are waiting for your application to be processed, you are deemed to have implied status or considered to have maintained status in Canada.  If you remain in Canada, this status is recognised by the government of Canada, and you are not regarded as remaining illegally, or seen as someone who has overstayed or run afoul of the immigration rules. However, if you leave Canada, this status will no longer be applicable to you. You will be required to reapply to renter Canada. Since, in your case, your work permit has expired only a month ago, and you applied for perman...